What is VMware Log Insight?
- VMware Log Insight delivers real-time log management for VMware environments.
- Log Insight collects & analyzes all types of machine generated log data, including application logs, network traces, configuration files, messages, performance data & system state dumps.
- NSX vSphere Content Pack of Log Insight provides powerful filtering, logging visualization & alerting of NSX components.
- This enables to effectively monitor NSX environment using UI dashboard widgets with just a couple of clicks.
- Delivers real-time monitoring, search & log analytics coupled with a dashboard for stored queries, reports & alerts.
- Comes with built-in knowledge & native support for vSphere & other VMware products.
- The license model of Log Insight for NSX mirrors the license model of the NSX.
Key Benefits & Use case of Log Insight for NSX
Event Management: (Proactive Monitoring)
- Service Availability & Uptime
- Distributed Firewall logs & Analysis
- Distributed Firewall – Host Utilization
- Track HA Failover Events
- High severity events
Incident Management (Reactive Monitoring/Troubleshooting)
- Quick access to raw filtered events for troubleshooting.
- Custom Alerts/Thresholds for critical resources.
- Root Cause Analysis
- Alerts common user configuration errors
- Key infrastructure & NSX service alerts reducing MTTR
- Task creation, update & deletion of logical switches & logical routers.
- Centralized Audit log across NSX services including Firewall Policy changes.
- Assists in manual co relation of changes with configuration errors.