What is Hyper-convergence?
Hyper-convergence is a type of infrastructure system with a software-centric architecture that tightly integrates compute, storage, networking, virtualization & other technologies in a hardware box supported by a single vendor.
- Hyper-convergence was born out of the converged infrastructure concept of products that include storage, compute & networking in one box.
- Systems that fall under the hyper convergence category also have the hypervisor built in and are used specifically in virtual environments.
- Storage & compute are typically managed separately in a virtual environment, but hyperconvergence provides simplificationby allowing everything to be managed through one plug in.
How hyper-converged systems differ from converged systems?
Hyper-converged systems take the concept of convergence to the next level.
Converged systems are separate components engineered to work together.
- Storage, Networking, Compute & Virtualization components are integrated together to provide a converged infrastructure.
- Storage & management of computing power are handled independent of the virtual environment
Hyper-converged systems are modular systems designed to scale out by adding additional modules.
- These systems are mainly designed around storage & compute on a single x86 server chassis interconnected by 10 GB Ethernet.
- It’s like a server with bunch of storage from a physical perspective.
Key Benefits of Hyper-convergence
- Simple design.
- Decreased administrative overhead.
- Simplified vendor management since single vendor provides the complete solution.
What Hyperconvergence can do for you?
Hyperconvergence is based on the Software Defined Data Center (SDDC). Since it is based on Software it provides the required flexibility & agility that business demands from IT.
- As it is software driven any new features are made available in the software releases which can be easily applied without any change or upgrade in the hardware.
- Hyperconvergence solutions provide the combined flash & spinning disk for storage which offers the better capacity & performance which helps to eliminate resource islands.[Underutilized resources]
Hyperconvergence solutions offers single vendor approach related to procurement, implementation & operation.
- All components compute, storage, network, backup are all combined in a single shared resource pool with Hypervisor technology.
- The software layer which forms the base of this Hyperconvergence technology is designed to accommodate any hardware failure that eventually happens & it cannot be prevented.
- As this technology is software driven any new features are made available in the software releases which can be easily applied without any change or upgrade in the hardware.
- Offers single & centralized interface for managing all the resources across multiple nodes.
Hyperconvergence solutions go far beyond servers & storage that traditional or legacy services offers. It offers below services which a legacy service does not offer.
- Data protection products which includes backup & replication
- De- duplication appliances
- Wide-area network optimization appliances
- Solid State Drive (SSD) arrays
- SSD cache arrays
- Replication Appliances & Software
Who are the vendors?
- Simplivity – Omnicube
- Scale Computing